There are several types of hunting knives that are designed specifically for making the delicate task of field dressing and skinning big game animals much easier. The Open Season Skinner is currently one of the most popular field-dressing knives on the market. The knife is an extremely capable skinning knife thanks to great feature such as its immense strength, its ability to hold an edge for long, its full tang construction, etc. In the Open Season Skinner review below, we shall explain into the detail some of these great features as well as the top pros and cons of owning the knife. Also, we shall take a look at some of the customers’ most commonly asked questions.
- 1 Buck Knives 0537RWS Open Season Skinner Knife with Detail Features
- 1.1 S30V Steeled Blade
- 1.2 Excellent Skinning Ability
- 1.3 Top Quality Leather Sheath
- 1.4 Full Tang Construction
- 1.5 Easy Maintenance
- 1.6 PROS
- 1.7 CONS
- 1.8 Buck Knives 0537RWS Open Season Skinner Knife Presentation Video
- 1.9 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 1.9.1 Q. Who are the manufacturers of the 0537RWS Open Season Skinner Knife?
- 1.9.2 Q. What is the knife’s blade length?
- 1.9.3 Q. What is the overall length of the knife?
- 1.9.4 Q. What is the weight of the knife?
- 1.9.5 Q. What is the knife’s carry system?
- 1.9.6 Q. Where is the knife made?
- 1.9.7 Q. What type of material is used in making the blade?
- 1.9.8 Q. What material is used in making the handle?
- 1.9.9 Q. Is this a folding knife?
- 1.9.10 Q. Does the knife have the ability to stay sharp for a long time?
- 1.9.11 Q. Does it come with a warranty?
- 1.9.12 Q. Does Buck Knives offer its customers sharpening services?
- 1.9.13 Q. How do I take care of the knife?
- 1.10 Final Verdict
Buck Knives 0537RWS Open Season Skinner Knife with Detail Features
S30V Steeled Blade
One of the major highlights of the Open Season Skinner is its S30V stainless steel blade. The S30V steel blade used in making the knife’s blade not only makes the blade have an excellent edge retention capability but it also gives the blade its toughness, hardness and ability to resist corrosion, among other important features. All these things play a very important role in making the Open Season Skinner perform optimally when used in skinning game.
Excellent Skinning Ability
The biggest highlight of the knife is its ability to skin game excellently. The knife offers thorough and efficient skinning of game thanks to features such as its narrow tip and wide curved belly, which help in effortlessly removing the flesh of the animal from the skin. The downward angled nature of the blade is also plays a very important role during the skinning process since it helps in preventing the user from accidentally slicing through the animal’s hide.
Top Quality Leather Sheath
Every avid hunter knows that having a good leather sheath is just as important as having a good hunting knife. And because the manufacturers of the Open Season Skinner know how important a quality sheath is to both user and knife, they designed a genuine leather sheath that perfectly accommodates the knife. What does this leather sheath do? The sheath performs a number of important functions, including providing a convenient and safe way of carrying the knife as well as preventing the knife from accidentally injuring you or others. Another important function of the sheath worth mentioning is its excellent ability in protecting the blade from the elements and other things that can easily reduce its lifespan and performance.
Full Tang Construction
The knife comes with a full tang construction which plays an important role in reducing the blade’s chance of separating from the knife’s handle. When skinning an animal – whether a small or a large one, the last thing you need is the handle of the knife suddenly buckling and separating from the blade. The Open Season Skinner’s full tang construction, massively reduces the likelihood of this happening, thereby leaving you with the peace of mind to go about your cutting tasks.
The Open Season Skinner, just like the majority of fixed blade design knives, is very easy to clean and maintain.
- Since it was purposely designed for skinning game, it skins game thoroughly and very efficiently.
- It has great edge retention.
- It is corrosion resistant and highly ductile.
- It is very durable.
- The knife comes with a full tang construction.
- Knife’s handle is comfortable and feels very good to hold.
- It comes razor sharp right out of the box and stays that way for a long time.
- It is a beautiful knife.
- It comes with a durable leather sheath which protects and makes carrying it convenient and safe.
- The knife is easy to clean as well as maintain.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Since it is made of S30V steel, which is a very hard steel, it is quite difficult resharpening it without professional help.
Buck Knives 0537RWS Open Season Skinner Knife Presentation Video
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Who are the manufacturers of the 0537RWS Open Season Skinner Knife?
A. The knife is manufactured by the renowned American knife manufacturing company Buck Knives.
Q. What is the knife’s blade length?
A. The knife has a blade length of 11.4 cm (4 1/2 inches).
Q. What is the overall length of the knife?
A. The overall length of the knife is 20.9 cm (8 1/4 inches).
Q. What is the weight of the knife?
A. It weighs approximately 161.6 g (5.7 oz.).
Q. What is the knife’s carry system?
A. Its carry system is a leather sheath.
Q. Where is the knife made?
A. It is made in the United States.
Q. What type of material is used in making the blade?
A. The blade is made of the extremely hard S30V stainless steel.
Q. What material is used in making the handle?
A. The handle of the knife is made of Rosewood Dymondwood.
Q. Is this a folding knife?
A. It isn’t folding knife but rather a fixed blade knife.
Q. Does the knife have the ability to stay sharp for a long time?
A. Yes it does thanks to the S30V steel used in making it.
Q. Does it come with a warranty?
A. Yes it does! It comes with Buck Knives’ famous Forever Lifetime Warranty, which sees Buck Knives replace or repair the knife if it develops a problem as a result of a manufacturing-related defect throughout the entire life of the knife. However, the warranty does not cover misuse of the knife or natural wear and tear.
Q. Does Buck Knives offer its customers sharpening services?
A. Yes the company does offer its customers excellent sharpening services for a fee.
Q. How do I take care of the knife?
A. You should not use the knife as a substitute for things such as chisels, hammers, screwdrivers, etc. The knife is designed for only cutting. In addition to this, doing the following things will help make the knife last longer and perform at its best all the time:
- Always keep the entire knife dry – including the knife’s blade.
- Regularly clean the knife – especially after use.
- Oil the knife on a regular basis. Buck Knives recommends oiling the knife with Wax Lubricant since it is very effective in protecting the knife from moisture-related corrosion and surface oxidation. When you regularly oil your knife, you save it from becoming rusty.
- When not using the knife, always make sure that it is stored in a dry place.
A dedicated skinning knife like the Open Season Skinner can be one of the greatest assets one can have when engaging in the extremely crucial task of field dressing game. The review above has just revealed into detail some of the amazing attributes that make this knife one of the most useful skinning knives in the hunting world. If you ever find yourself in the market looking for a capable skinning knife, this knife may well be an excellent choice.
For a few other great hunting Backpacks , read the Top Hunting Knives Reviews with Buying Guide.